Pages

Crazy Shirts - Men's & Women's Casual Apparel with Aloha!

Monday, March 14, 2011

Blame it on Buffett (with a nod to Kelly McGuire)

I have always loved the water. I was born near the Southern coast of Spain (military dad) less than twenty miles from the Atlantic Ocean. From there, we moved to Long Island, New York - a fish shaped spit of land surrounded by water, and later to NJ, with its miles of coast line. Summers were spent at places like Long Beach, Long Island and Ocean City, MD. Over the years I have moved around the country for school, jobs, and other reasons but have always gravitated toward H2O, including stops in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina and Corpus Christi, Texas. I'm far more comfortable in a pair of shorts than a suit (which may partly explain why none of my careers - and I've had a few - have ever involved the word "corporate"). My lovely wife is the same. Which in no way explains why, for the last twenty years, we have lived landlocked in the Southern city of Atlanta...miles from even a boat worthy body of water, let alone sand and surf. The fact is we got here, set down roots, had kids and, two decades later, are still here. Early on, when I was doing record promotion, I was able to travel all up and down both the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts: St. Augustine, Daytona Beach, Miami, Key West, Sanibel, Ft. Myers, Apalachicola - staying ocean front whenever possible. We found lots of great restaurants, tiki bars and hotels along the way. Now, while I don't travel any more for business, as often as possible we still escape to "where the map turns blue", places like Ft. Walton or Fernandina Beach, FL.

So, what does all that have to do with Jimmy Buffett? Jimmy's music has been the soundtrack for both my wife and I for as long as we can remember. When we can't physically be at the beach, we put on a Buffett song and instantly get transported to "One Particular Harbour", with a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" in one hand, and a "Tin Cup Chalice" in the other. ThroughJimmy's music we have been introduced to the world of Parrot Heads, loud Aloha shirts, and the "frozen concoctions that help us hang on" (Hang on! Hang on!). As if all that wasn't enough, several years ago a member of the Atlanta Parrot Head Club turned me on to "Trop Rock" (thanks, Cathy!). What is Trop rock? That's for a whole 'nother post. Suffice to say that it has become a large part of my life. Our love of beaches, boats, bars, and bands that sing about all of the above. Blame it on Buffett....

No comments:

Post a Comment