Pages

Crazy Shirts - Men's & Women's Casual Apparel with Aloha!

Monday, March 21, 2011

DJ Jeff Allen: Trop Rock Tastemaker

According to Mapquest, it’s approximately 2700 miles from Western Pennsylvania to the coast of California. So, how did a one-time restaurant manager turned dj make the trip and wind up one of the most respected  voices in Trop Rock - and one half of the most successful Trop Rock internet radio network in the world? I posed that question and more to Jeff Allen, aka “DJ Jeff”, over the course of a couple of bi-coastal phone calls.

As a fellow dj, I know how I got into it - I wanted to be the guy throwing the party (and it paid pretty well). How did you get into dj’ing?
“I was living in York, Pennsylvania  in the early 80’s – had been working in the restaurant business since high school. I figured that’s what I was going to do for the rest of my life. On my nights off, I’d go to watch a buddy spin records at a local dance club. Whenever my friend would go off to talk to women – which, lucky for me, was pretty often – he’d let me step in and take over the turntables. I really liked it, became a student. I started out going to other clubs to listen and learn from other dj’s. Before long, I was spinning at clubs around the area. Pretty soon I also had a mobile dj business going, playing weddings and other events down as far as Maryland. It wound up being an almost thirty year career”

When did you first hearing Trop Rock?
“In 1998 I helped start the Amish Parrot Head Club in Pennsylvania. So, I was very familiar with Jimmy Buffett, and Dennis McCaughey and Tropical Soul were in the area (and still are). Before long, I started hearing from club members about these other artists, people I had never heard of before.  I’d be dj’ing at a club party and they would request songs … One of the first “Trop Rock” artists I remember hearing was Jim Morris, when a guy gave me some cds for a wedding. The first person I remember seeing live was Scott Kirby – when he came to play an event in our area, then, later, John Frinzi and Peter Mayer.”

How did the Amish Beach Party come about?
“I was always interested in radio, learned a lot from listening to the dj’s but   although I did some radio sales – I had never been on the air. Then, around 2000, Radio Margaritaville’s Program Director Steve Huntington started inviting listeners to submit their own home made shows to run each week on the station. Back then, the technology wasn’t there for me to do it live from my house, so I would record these one hour CDs and send them to Steve. I needed a name, so I took part of our name from the Parrot Head Club and came up with the Amish Beach Party. That lasted about three years, until Radio Margaritaville started airing on Sirius and they put a stop to guest dj’s. About that same time, I had some health issues that forced me out of the restaurant business. So, I was looking for something else to do. I got serious about the Amish Beach Party – which, thanks to improved technology, I could now do as a live show - found a home at Radio Jimmy Dreamz on the Live 365 Network. I was there for almost 5 years.”

How did you get from Amish Beach Party on Live 365, to starting your own network and hosting shows yourself?
“I learned a lot doing my show on Radio Jimmydreamz, and the technology had gotten better and better. So, I started thinking I could ‘go bigger’, start my own internet radio network for Parrot Heads. I had a passion for it and felt there was a niche for a professionally run, well marketed radio station focused on Trop Rock. In March of 2009, I was approached by Bill and Trace from Meet The Phlockers about working with them to put something together. I really owe them a lot, because they helped me – gave me the platform - to step out. The result of that partnership was Sandbar Radio, with me as the Program Director and Amish Beach Party as one of the anchor shows. The next logical step for me, then, was to start my very own network, which I did in early 2010.  I put together a business plan, found some investors and, that’s how we got to where we are now, BeachFront Radio (http://www.beachfrontradio.com/home.cfm). And it really just came out of trying to create a job for myself seven years earlier ”

That’s not EXACTLY where you are now, because BeachFront Radio – like the Amish Beach Party - began its life in Pennsylvania. But, you’re now broadcasting from the Channel Islands in California. That’s not just another exit down I-81. How did you get from the right coast to the left?

“That would be Captain Cali! Carol, aka Captain Cali, is the other half of Beachfront Radio. She was my friend and business partner first. But, before long, it became more than just a working relationship. Anybody who has ever tried a long distance romance knows how difficult THAT can be. Imagine trying to do it – and trying to run a business at the same time – from completely opposite ends of the country!  So, in January of this year I decided to move out to be with Carol. The nice thing about internet radio is that, as long as you have computer, you can do it anywhere! So, now the ‘Amish’ Beach Party comes to you from California.”

You were telling me a funny story about how the BeachFront Radio “Dance Party” show came out of your move to California…
“Yeah! I had just moved out there with Captain Cali and we were working in one room, turning it into a studio for BeachFront Radio. We were broadcasting, but it was pretty late on a Friday night, so we figured there were probably not as many people listening as there would be during the week. I started throwing in some different songs – some dance tunes - really just for ‘music to hang pictures by’. It didn’t take long before we started seeing a response and people seemed to love it!”

When you said you “saw a response” what do you mean?
“You’re a long time radio dj, so you know that – before Facebook and Twitter - when you would play music over the air you didn’t get to SEE people responding, unlike in a dance club or a mobile gig, where people get out on the dance floor (or don’t). But, technology has changed all that. Now we can get an almost immediate response - It has become very interactive. People can request things and tell us when they hear something they like. We have a VERY active audience that is constantly giving us feedback. That night, we were blown away by the number of posts saying they were really enjoying what we were playing. Our focus will always be on Trop Rock but, because of that night we’re going to keep it up – doing a ‘Friday night dance party’ at least once a month!”

In addition to being a well known dj and world wide radio show host, you’re also one of the most vocal and well respected supporters of Trop Rock music. Where do you see the genre going?
I’m amazed at what is going on in Trop Rock. When I first got involved  - outside of Jimmy, there weren’t that many artists doing that type of material. Now there are HUNDREDS of acts. On one end you have people like Kenny Chesney and Jack Johnson reaching a huge audience. Right under them is a long list of artists, people that we play on BeachFront Radio but that just haven’t had that big radio hit to cross them over. The quality is improving and there’s more and more good material. You have guys who have been around a while, who are writing hits for the groups of tomorrow and you have a younger generation that’s just starting out that has some real commercial potential. It’s ever evolving. I’m very excited about the future. But, it would never have happened without Parrot Head Clubs.”

Here’s a question that always seems to stir up debate: Jimmy is obviously the king. But, eventually, he’s going to stop touring (or ticket prices are going to get so high that most people won’t be able to afford to go). Who do you see as stepping into his shoes when that happens?

”I don’t know. There are some great live acts out there, like Howard Livingston & Mile Marker 24. Look at the Grateful Dead when they stopped touring. The fans didn’t go away, they just went to see bands like Phish. When Jimmy stops touring, someone will step up – I’m not sure who it is yet…”

One of the great things about BeachFront Radio is that it travels – people can see you live. You and Captain Cali are on the road a lot, broadcasting from events all over the country.
“I love that. BeachFront on the road…we’re out at least once a month. First and foremost, it’s great catching up with the Beach Bums, as we call our regular listeners to BeachFront radio. And, secondly, getting to work with all the great Trop Rock artists out there.”

What are some of your favorite events to attend?
That’s hard, there are so many great events and so many great host clubs. The Parrothead Rendezvous in Panama City, FL is a favorite for personal reasons – that’s where I first met Captain Cali. Meeting of the Minds because of its history. We did a Halloween party in Ft. Meyers before MOTM that was a blast – people have asked us to do it again his year. … And this will be my first time going to Fins To The West. I’m very excited about that.”
What’s next for Beachfront Radio?
“We’re having a blast with our two shows – The Amish Beach Party and Pyrates Behaving Badly on Tuesday night, hosted by Cheeto Gyrl and Capt Cali. We’ve got some new shows in development to launch in 2011 – can’t give away too much info! We also want to keep growing the audience and finding new converts to Trop Rock. In person or in your head, Trop Rock puts you in a good mood. It’s just happy music.”  

http://www.beachfrontradio.com/home.cfm

No comments:

Post a Comment