Pages

Crazy Shirts - Men's & Women's Casual Apparel with Aloha!

Friday, March 25, 2011

Nadirah Shakoor: On Family, Her New Film, and Almost Singing with Yanni.

Nadirah Shakoor is best known as a Grammy nominated singer and songwriter, former member of Arrested Development, current member of Jimmy Buffett's Coral Reefer Band, as well as her own group, Outside Art. She is also a social activist, mentor, and performer - with her own entertainment company, Muziki Kianga (A Musical Burst of Light), dedicated to "spiritually conscious and life affirming music". Now you can add Film Maker to her resume.


Nadirah recently answered some questions about her new Documentary, "Bullying: A Shameful Dilemma", as well as life as a Coral Reefer and how she got to where she is now...



Most people know you from the Coral Reefer Band. But, your musical career started well before that: you were a member of the Grammy winning group Arrested Development, have toured with Madonna, Al Jarreau, Janet Jackson, Quincy Jones, and others…and have several solo albums out. When did you first figure out you could sing – and when did you decide that’s what you wanted to do for a living?

"I come from a family of singers and musicians. My father was always in one singing group or another and they would often rehearse in our living room. When I was just a few years old my father taught me how to harmonize. When I was 9 he started bringing 45’s of songs for me to learn. I remember the first one was Alfie by Dianne Warwick."


How did you hook up with Arrested Development?

"My brothers, Rasheed, Omar, and I had a musical project at the time called 'Shakoor' (which means Thankful or Greatful). We were similar to Arrested Development in that we dressed in African style, wrote socially concious lyrics, and I sang while my brothers rapped. During that time we lost our father and the group was put on hold (note: Nadirah's father was an innocent bystander caught in the middle of a drive-by shooting near their home in South Central Los Angeles). One day I saw Arrested Development’s 'Tennessee' video, I was very moved and drawn to their music and mission. I felt an almost overwhelming need to be a part of it. I wrote them letters and sent music until they responded, then went to see them when they came through Los Angeles on tour. I ended up auditioning right in the catering room and two weeks later I was in Atlanta rehearsing with Arrested Development to do Saturday Night Live!"


Of all the famous people you’ve toured with in the past (not counting Jimmy Buffett) who was your favorite and why ?

"I would have to say Arrested Development for a number of reasons, the first being timing as they came at a very emotional period of loss in my life. When I saw that first show I cried when African music started and Taree walked on stage with a big Carmen Miranda like hat of fruit on her head. I loved the songs and being part of a movement. I also liked being able to work bare footed, which I still do today. We traveled much of the world and even performed for Nelson Mandela in South Africa in the first year after the abolishment of apartheid. It was wonderful experience and just what I needed at the time. I will be forever greatful for the opportunity."


You have four solo albums and some singles out that cover a wide spectrum of music – from soul, to house music, to your most recent, “Nod To The Storyteller”, which includes covers of Jimmy Buffett songs. Tell me about each of those.

"My first CD 'NadirahSongs' is actually a compilation of R&B songs I’d collaborated with different producers on over the years, most of them were demos. I released it myself."


T"hen came 'Soul Power', which was more hip-hop meets R& B, produced by Arrested Development’s leader Speech. It was released in Japan only. "

"I always loved ‘House music’, in fact, as a teen ager I used to sneak in House Music clubs with a fake ID to dance. The lyrics are often Spiritually uplifting and life-affirming and I was inspired to write in the House Music style. Like hip-hop, it allowed more freedom than the R&B of the day. I could mention God or sing of serious life issues without limitation. This suited me since I was taught and believe with all my heart that I should strive to use my talents to contribute something helpful and meaningful to the world. Thus my 3rd CD 'Obsessed With Peace'. It was also released independently."

"As for "'Nod To The Storyteller', one night at a party in Boston Jimmy said to me, 'Nadirah you should do an album of some of my songs!' and 'Nod' was born!


And, as all Parrot Heads know, you’ve been with Jimmy since 1995...

"When Arrested Development disbanded I found myself re-located to Atlanta with my son, a mortgage, and no income. So, I made calls to contacts I had in Los Angeles and was presented with three tour opportunities. Yanni needed a singer and offered the most pay (double JB’s offer) but his entire show was instrumental except for one song that would feature me. I would have been bored to death so I had to turn it down. The second offer was Spearhead, a hiphop group similar to Arrested Development that had in fact been on several shows with us (my note: Michael Franti & Spearhead have had several recent hits, including "Say Hey, I Love You'). I liked their music and their social statement but it was only a temporary 'gig' and I needed something with more job stability. The third possibility was Jimmy Buffett. I was not familiar with Jimmy at the time but for some reason his name just sounded like a jazz singer's. I had worked with Al Jarreau so I felt up to the challenge and the money was cool. When the music arrived for me to study it included a lot of his older music which to me sounded very country and made me nervous. I remembered hearing 'Why Don’t We Get Drunk and Screw' on the radio a couple weeks earlier and thinking, 'Wow! they will put anything on the radio!' Here I was an African American woman, raised in Islam, with dreadlocks, two rings in my nose and a burning desire to uplift the world's conciousness through music. To be totally honest, I just didn’t see how I could fit in or be accepted by a group of southern, white, 'country' musicians. I started crying and called my mother to tell her it was not jazz but country and I didn’t think I could do it! She reminded me that I needed a job (as mother’s will). In the midst of my dilemma Amy Lee called me. She and I both lived in Atlanta and she wanted to welcome me aboard. She answered my questions and helped to ease some of my fear and anxiety. When I went to the first rehearsal and heard the music I realized Jimmy’s sound had evolved to a lovely combination of Carribean, Folk, Soft Rock and Pop with a hint of his Country roots. I was relieved and I was warmly received. The rest is history! I have learned so much in this last sixten years about people, carribean culture, work ethic, performance, the music business, and so much more. I would not trade it for the world and intend to be a Coral Reefers for as long as Jimmy wants me to be. I feel very blessed to work with such great musicians and great people. I consider each and every one of them a friend, my road family." 


Jimmy seems to be very generous with the spot light and often gives you an opportunity to step out front and “solo”...

"Actually we are all full band members each with our own special contribution. I was hired as a 'featured' back up vocalist in fact my first few shows I was placed center stage next to Jimmy. He has been very generous featuring me as well as the other Coral Reefers and I am very greatful. He not only allows us to pursue our own musical agendas but he encourages and supports us in our efforts as well".


You were gracious to invite me to your birthday party last year at your home outside Atlanta, and I met several of your family members there. You all seemed very close. How important is family in your life?

"Family is extremely important and yes, we are very close. I have all the responsibilities that come with being the oldest sibling with the most education, a good job, and a decent career. I have relied on my family to take care of my son while I’m on the road. I couldn’t have come this far without their love and support."


Speaking of family, you and your brother Rasheed have a band together, Outside Art.

"A little know fact is that the original 'Outside Art' consisted of Heather Perry, guitarist Paul Pesco, and I. That group didn’t pan out but I liked the name - which represents great art that is not necessarily main stream - so I kept it. My brother/drummer, Rasheed, and I put the new Outside Art together and were already doing live House Music in the clubs. After recording Nod to the Story Teller we added the music to our repetoire in order to help promote it."


How do you cope with all the travelling and “suitcase lifestyle” of being in a band? 

"I have been doing the road thing since 1984 so I am quite used to it. I love being able to travel to different parts of the world and meet new people. It is a blessing and a priviledge that I don’t take for granted. Of course there are times I miss my family and being home but there are also those times when I have been home a while and can hardly wait to get back on the road! It’s the life I have chosen - or maybe it chose me. In either case I am greatful and happy with this life of mine."


Guitarists have to keep their strings clean, horn players change their reeds, drummers buy new sticks...Your voice is your instrument: What do you do to keep it strong and healthy? 

"As a singer and performer my whole body is my instrument. Good health is essential in order to do my job. I juice organic vegetables and fruits, I work out, and I swear by Emergen-C. The proper amount of rest is also very important for a singer, I function best on 8 hrs of sleep and try to get my 8 every night, especially when on the road. As a writer it is important to I keep my Spirit nourished. I do this with prayer, meditatation, chanting, journaling, and sharing my life with interesting people of like mind."



Like Jim Mayer, your band-mate in the Coral Reefers, you are also very involved with anti-bullying efforts. You have a just completed documentary that you are screening in Atlanta... 

"The fact that both Jim and I are both working to shed light and find remedies for the issue of bullying is purely coincidental although not surprising. “Uncle” Jim loves children and has dedicated much of his talent to making meaningful music for children of all ages. He invited me to sing on his CDs as 'The Funky Diva' and I am proud to be included in such fine work. We haven’t discussed our individual anti-bullying efforts yet but I know Jim has been doing a lot of school concerts for the past few years which may have prompted him to do something about the problem in our schools.Fortunately I never had to deal with bullying as a child but my ex-husband tried to bully me into submission until we divorced. It turned out that he grew up a victim of bullying and, untreated, became a bully himself. It is a problem that has reached epidemic proportions especially amongst school age children and in the schools themselves. In recent years I have felt a pull to do more for my community so I began speaking and sharing my music at some public and charter schools.

In October 2010, I met a woman at an Outside Art concert, Lauretta Ali, who was working on a stage play about the life and music of Billie Holiday. She told me that the way I like to leave the stage and get closer to the audience reminded her of Billie Holiday, who was known for doing the same thing at alll her shows. She asked if I would be interested in playing the part of Ms. Holiday in her play. Later she shared with me another project dear to her heart, a documentary about bullying. I knew the Universe was presenting me with what I asked for and I jumped on board. I started researching and discovered cyber bullying and that children are committing suicide as a result of being bullied! I also learned that being bullied or bullying as a child has far reaching consequences into adulthood. 
The film – 'Bullying: A Shameful Dilemma', is a series of poignant interviews with both children and adults. Some were guilty of bullying and some who have been victimized by bullies. They each share their experiences and the impact on their lives today. We ask the questions: What makes one person a bully and another a victim? What can we do? What can the schools and parents do, etc. Our mission is to inspire others to not only discuss the issue but to work together to find solutions. I am excited to be part of what I consider something very important."



I look forward to it - and to seeing you there!

"Fred, I must say that I feel and appreciate all the support you have given me. I thank you neighbor and look forward to doing more together in the future. In the meantime be blessed and happy.

On Wednesday, March 30th, Nadirah will screen her brand new documentary film, "Bullying: A Shameful Dilemma" at the Wonderroot Community Arts Center in Atlanta. The film will be followed by a discussion and live music. Tickets are only $5.



http://www.wonderroot.org/

http://www.nadirahshakoor.com/

http://www.debgrishamentertainment.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment